What you will need
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breast, about 1lb
- 3/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 6 assorted beets, about 4 lbs trimmed, peeled, and quartered
- 3 shallots, unpeeled, trimmed and halved
- 1 large clove of garlic unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 10 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds, toasted
preheat the oven to 375*F
Place chicken breast on one half of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. place the beets, shallots, and garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.wrap loosely in the foil and place on the baking sheet. Roast until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool and return the baking sheet to the oven. Continue roasting until the beets are fork-tender and the shallots are very soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken and set aside.
To make the vinaigrette, combine the balsamic vinegar and mustard in a blender.
Squeeze in the roasted garlic and add the shallots, discarding the skins. Blend until well combined, about 20 seconds. put the 3/4 cup olive oil in a measuring cup with a spout. With the blender running, add the olive oil from the measuring cup in a steady stream. Blend until the dressing is emulsified. season with salt and pepper to taste. (Left over dressing can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.)
In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens and tarragon. pour in the dressing to taste and toss to coat all the ingredients. Mound the greens on a platter and arrange the chicken, beets, apples, and almonds on top. Serve right away.